Because it addresses SO MANY THINGS and attempts to explore them:
- Gender roles (in which this book series destroys them)- In this series you have a HUGE burly man (Hagrid) who treats animals like they are his children, cries publicly, shows his emotions, KNITS IN PUBLIC, and gardens. You have Mrs. Weasley who is the major mother-figure for Harry but who fights just as hard in the final book as the men even though she’s “just” a housewife. She kills Bellatrix for crying out loud!
- Racism and privilege- The full-blood, half-blood, muggle-born aspect runs throughout the whole series and is meant to be seen as a type of racism. Hermione is a muggle-born but her abilities far surpass her peers’ and Neville, who is a full-blooded wizard is expected to be a better wizard simply from his ancestors, is one of the worst in his classes.
- Classism- The Malfoys vs. the Weasleys.
- Ageism- Harry isn’t taken seriously because of his age (in fact it actually helps him obtain the fake locket with Dumbledore because he isn’t seen as a “real” wizard due to his age) and neither is Dumbledore. Dumbledore’s age becomes an issue for the news and people start to question whether or not he’s gone senile when he and Harry claim that Voldemort has returned.
- Speciesism- The treatment of House-elves, centaurs, giants, and other magical populations are seen as beneath wizards and Hermione tries to take steps to fix that with S.P.E.W.
- Education- Hagrid was expelled and so he’s seen as uneducated and Malfoy calls him a servant, a savage, etc. But he’s able to earn a position as a teacher at Hogwarts and overcome his lack of an education. Fred and George are the same way, they drop out of Hogwarts and become successful joke shop owners, the implication being that they were not ever really suited for a traditional education (they were not traditional learners and that’s okay). Or when Harry becomes the DADA teacher during Order of the Phoenix, he chooses to teach it hands-on while Umbridge has them write lines all class period. This book explores different learning styles and shows that there are many different ways to learn a subject.
- Ableism- Neville’s parents live in a hospital because they experienced severe brain damage after being tortured by Voldemort for information. We see them in Order of the Phoenix and it’s through those chapters that we not only understand Neville better but we find out that he isn’t ashamed of them nor does he feel he should be.
- Sexuality- This book portrays a gay relationship, (even though it is not brought up within the canon ever): Grindelwald and Dumbledore. JK Rowling stated this shortly after the final book came out, that’s how we know this.
necessary sleepover, maybe this friday night in the event that youve done your homework :p
because i brought back really stupid presents that you and jess need to get.
edit: oh and i deleted your messages because theyre useless :P
Sorry, i’m 11.
Lily/James and Sirius/Lupin (humorous versions) for fanfiction.
Ron/Hermione and Remus/Tonks for reading about in the books.
Omigod, I just deleted this post like 2 times in a row.
I am pissed.
Anyway, FOR THE THIRD TIME HERE IS MY TOP 3 LIST. (i didnt need 5 spaces this time)
- Umbridge, that ugly toad. Like Lucius Malfoy, she is evil for the sake of being and racist evil bitch, without any underlying insanity to make her charmingly twisted. Plus (please, no one kill me) I didn’t like the AVPS Umbridge, even though I love JW, because the voice he put on was so irritating, and now I hear it when I’m reading the books. Bad.
- Cho Chang. I sort of suspect that Jo made her boring and annoying on purpose, because she was really just a plot device. Every member of the 2 main couples had someone they dated briefly so that they didn’t end up marrying the first person they ever kissed (Dean/Michael, Lavender, and Viktor) and Cho was Harry’s. I think my first problem is that we never really learn WHY he likes her, other than the fact that she’s pretty. Obviously it was a failed relationship, so their lack of chemistry is to be expected, but I just REALLY did not see this. Also, the girl should clearly have some issues, but we never see them fully addressed (other than the teaspoon speech), which makes me think that maybe she’s just really shallow and she doesn’t have them. Oh, and she’s just a bitch and the reader is supposed to dislike her so that we don’t get pissed when they break up.
- Rita Skeeter. There is nothing I hate more than a tabloid writer, because they just make shit up and ruin lives. And she embodies the idea of making shit up and ruining lives. Bitch.
- Sense of humor
- Boys who wear leather jackets (and fill them out)
wow, this is a pretty old post (sorry i havent gotten around to my formspring in a while), but thank you so much! I just sent you a q about who you are, but if youre following me, I’m probably following you, haha.
Oh jeez, im sorry. I honestly wasn’t trying to be a bitch about that, i was just pointing it out. No damage, I swear to god. It was a funny clip nonetheless, because im sure the movies will be stupid about this and never mention it.
And no, I’m not a twilight fan, I just read the books.
sigh. i would be very upset if they were though.
just giving the viewers what they want.
okay, ill shut up about this show now.
one more thing though: the guys ALWAYS seem gay to me. ALWAYS.
Jeez, this is the cutest episode of this show ever. I actually buy these two liking each other.
It makes me absolutely sure that this thing is 100% scripted.
That and the fact that no one ever gets rejected.
I mean, if the woman says, “sexy and colorful”, only an idiot would go in there and come out with black jeans and a black sweater.
I know, I know, I’m a stupid trashy TV junkie, and I have sunk to a new level of low by watching this bullshit.
But it’s very addicting.
Anyway, the girl theyre making over is me in about 8 years.
She has reddish-brown hair, photographs landscapes because she hates dealing with people, dresses in black, grey, and white, she can’t talk to attractive people, has trouble being happy, she is incapable of being in a good relationship, shes shy around guys she likes, she can’t flirt, she can be “clumsy with her words and her feet”, and she has disgustingly bad self esteem.
I wonder if she has a tumblr.
EDIT: JESUS CHRIST SHE JUST SAID HER FASHION ICON IS AUDREY HEPBURN. I WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH THIS WOMAN.
Oh and she thinks Louise is an immature idiot. We are twins.